Friday, September 24, 2010

Wild Mushroom Agnolotti with Lobster Cream Sauce


Deliciousness is made of the following:

[Heavy Cream] [Garlic, Shallot] [Parmesan] [Buitoni’s Pasta] [Helluva Lot of Butter] [Thyme] [Kosher Salt] [Lemon] [Cheap Wine] [Left Over Lobster Bisque] [Effin’ Truffle Oil] [screw measurements]


Shallots. Oh hell, Shallots. I love sweet onions, and make sure they are on hand in my kitchen at all times. For some reason it’s been harder to get shallots here in Atlanta, but when I find them I GET THE HELL OUT OF THEM. They give the most amazing sweet, subtle onion flavor to sauces. Chop ‘em up fine with some garlic, and throw it into a pan with some butter, and let the flavors sweat out until the shallots are translucent and just starting to brown. This should smell heavenly.

Just to be on the safe side, add some more butter.

You know what, you should probably also add some cream to that.

Oh man. That almost looks NSFW. Man.

Get the butter all melted with the cream, and stir in the Lobster Bisque you had left over from lunch with your boyfriends dad. My bisque came from Gordon Birsch here in Atlanta, but any decadently rich bisque should do. Tomato bisque would be a good substitute as well. But I mean, really. Lobster. You want it. You may also want to splash some white wine* in there. I decided the wine added enough acidity for me, so I didn’t add any lemon after all. If you’re super straight edge like my little sister, you wont want wine in there, so just squeeze a little lemon juice in, and it’ll be just fine.
Now take a couple of small sprigs of thyme and scrape about a teaspoon of leaves into the pan.
*Shout out to my room mates dad for contributing the wine. It is finally being put to use!

Let that simmer on med-low for a while so it reduces. Standing with your face over the pan may make you a little light headed at this point, so step away. Did I mention you should be boiling water for your pasta during all this? See, I forgot, but this is how you learn the lesson that you should always read through a whole “recipe” before jumping into it. So yeah. You should have a pot of water now boiling with a dash of kosher salt and a splash of Olive Oil. Throw the pasta in there.

By the time the pasta is done boiling, the sauce will have reduced to a nice, thick, creamy consistancy. Drain the pasta. Now, the truffle oil. You may not want to add this. I am a slut for truffle oil. I put it on everything from scrambled eggs to french fries. My room mates think it smells like feet. Whatever, they’re insane. You and I know it’s heavenly, but not essential. If you have some, drizzle a little into the sauce, and resist the urge to eat the sauce out of the pan with a spoon.

instead, toss the pasta in the sauce, which at this point should have your whole kitchen smelling intoxicating. Spoon onto plates, and top with shredded Parmesan, and indulge.

This pasta. You guys. It has basically all of my favorite things. Mushrooms? Check. Lobster? Check. Thyme? Check. Truffle Oil? Oh yeah. I’m still trying to decide if I should be a total pig and have another helping now, or save some for lunch tomorrow.

I think I’ll make my co-workers totally jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment